Cost and efficiency of helicopter emergency medical services in NSW
This research formed part of a PhD thesis for Colman Taylor. It included several studies examining the cost and benefit of helicopter emergency medical services (HEMS).
- A systematic review of the cost and benefit of HEMS
- An investigation into the cost, coverage and activities of HEMS in NSW
- An investigation into primary scene responses in NSW including time taken, distances travelled and the frequency of hospital bypass
- An evaluation of the cost-effectiveness of HEMS primary scene responses in NSW
- An investigation into the financial impact of HEMS over-triage to major trauma centres in NSW
Relating to this theme, future research is planned exploring community values to HEMS and potentially a larger evaluation examining HEMS cost-effectiveness.