According to the 2010 Global Burden of Disease study, chronic kidney disease was ranked 27th in the list of causes of total number of deaths worldwide in 1990, but rose to 18th in 2010. Over two million people worldwide currently receive treatment with dialysis or a kidney transplant to stay alive, yet this number may only represent 10% of people who actually need treatment to live.
- Executive Director, The George Institute for Global Health, India
- Professor and Chair of Global Kidney Health, Imperial College, London
- Conjoint Professor of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney
- Professor, Prasanna school of Public Health, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, India
- Immediate Past President (2019 – 2021) International Society of Nephrology