Mitigating COVID-19 risk in Urban Slums - Lessons for future
As the COVID-19 pandemic ravages through the country it brings out the vulnerabilities in health system. If first wave was confined to urban districts, in the past few months, the cases have grown at an alarming rate and the locus has moved to rural areas where health care access is scarce, and infrastructure is fragile.
The past year offers some lessons on factors (facilitators and barriers) that impede the onslaught of COVID-19 pandemic and these learnings will help in better planning of mitigation strategies for future.
Goal for the webinar:
- Share learnings of community-based interventions to mitigate COVID-19 risk and effects in low resource urban slum settings
- Prepare and support other implementers and policy makers to develop interventions and policies to flatten COVID-19 curve in future.
Webinar is based on the theme of ‘Supporting communities to mitigate COVID-19 risk’. Partners working in the urban slums of Mumbai and Chennai will share their experiences on working with communities during 1st wave of COVID-19 and the strategies that were used to mitigate COVID-19 in the intervention sites.
Mark your calendars for 22nd June 2021 | Tuesday | 6:00 - 7:30 PM IST
- Kayla Laserson - Deputy Director, Infectious Diseases and Vaccine Delivery, India Country Office Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) India
- Maria Lobo - Coordinator and Consultant, Society for the Promotion of Area Resource Centres (SPARC)
- Sushma Shende - Programme Director Child Health and Nutrition, Society for Nutrition, Education and Health Action (SNEHA)
- Shantilal Muttha - Founder Chairman, Bharatiya Jain Sanghatana (BJS)
- Joseph Williams - Director - Projects, Voluntary Health Services (VHS)
- Praveen Devarsetty - Director, PHCRC, Program Head, Primary Health Care, The George Institute for Global Health, India
The session concludes with moderated discussions and Q&A session where the audience can ask questions.
Follow and engage with the George Institute on social media.
Register here: https://bit.ly/3wuYb1S