Software Quality Assurance Engineer - FoodSwitch
About The George Institute India
The George Institute, a wholly owned legal not-for-profit Indian research institute, has been conducting research related activities in India since 2002. The George Institute India’s mission mirrors that of the parent organization, namely the discovery and implementation of solutions to chronic and disabling health problems through research, policy development and capacity building.
A number of large-scale projects in population, health systems and clinical research, funded by a diverse group of sponsors, both public and private, are conducted in India. The George Institute India comprises two distinct operating groups: Research and Development, and Infrastructure and Resources. It has two separate offices - in Hyderabad and New Delhi, where the research staff and senior management are based.
The global prevalence of diet related non-communicable disease is a systemic issue - a problem of economics and the regulatory environment and a direct consequence of a progressive decline in the healthiness of the foods people consume.
Our innovation is FoodSwitch - a data and technology platform that captures, catalogues, and profiles the nutrition and composition information of a country’s food supply. Central to our strategy is the empowerment of community, government and industry by providing data and insights on the food supply that can help government and industry enhance the food environment, and help consumers improve their diet.
Context and Role
The FoodSwitch technical platform spans many technologies, including mobile and web based applications and cloud based databases and infrastructure. The role of the Software Quality Assurance Engineer exists as an integral part of the development process to ensure work is delivered to a global standard in quality and reliability. Additionally, the role is responsible for designing and implementing software testing processes and has ownership of code quality through exploratory and automated tests through which to identify bugs and issues, report them, and ensure they’re resolved.
The Software Quality Assurance Engineer for FoodSwitch will report to the Technical Manager, FoodSwitch, and will work closely with other members of the FoodSwitch team including:
- Developers (India) for iOS, Android and web
- Data team (Sydney)
- External technical providers (ad hoc)
Duties and Key Responsibilities
The overall accountability is to setup quality gates throughout the SDLC to ensure product is delivered with high quality. Specifically responsibility to create and execute testing regimes with sufficient coverage and automation based on requirements from the team.
- Understand the business requirements and needs.
- Develop test scenarios and test case preparation, based on requirements and acceptance criteria.
- Test execution and timely reporting of test results and defects
- User and stakeholder usability and acceptance testing
- Ensure applications are tested in all aspects - UI, Visual, Accessibility, across all platforms (e.g. browser type, mobile OS, mobile device type)
- Identify QA Risk and Mitigation Plans and ensure product delivery as per the release timeline
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and ensure best practices is adapted across products.
- Find opportunities for improvements in systems, tools and processes, as well as drive these improvements across the development groups.
- Work closely with the development groups that enhance and maintain the applications that make up the product and the underlying services that drive them.
- Write automated tests with Scripting tools and/or user-level automated tools.
- Understanding the domain and the product in detail and develop the testing strategy/plan, developing test cases, driving the test case sign-off processes with the stakeholders, and test execution and reporting.
As a Team Member
- Participate in team meetings and activities relating to assigned project(s) and own work area;
- Participate in special projects to improve processes, tools, systems and organisation;
- Take responsibility for personal learning and development and for setting achievable and meaningful work objectives and managing personal targets, meeting obligations of the Institute’s Performance Management and Development Policy;
- Demonstrate commitment to GI’s values, including performing to an exceptionally high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts.
Work, Health and Safety
- Comply with GI’s Work Health and Safety Policy and related procedures, and similar policies which apply when visiting the premises of affiliates and collaborating sites.
- Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent.
- Minimum 3-4 years of experience working as a Software Quality Assurance Engineer in testing Mobile Applications and having exposure & understanding of backend systems as a Software Quality Assurance Engineer
- Experience in manual and automation testing.
- Exposure/ Experience in an agile development environment SCRUM
- Ability to work across multiple projects/platforms with cross browser test tools.
- Experience in developing test plans, procedures, and test cases for development sprints - must have exceptional documentation skills.
- Experience using functional and non-functional testing methodologies – System, Integration, Regression, UAT, etc.
- Must have experience in cross platform Mobile app testing
- Strong Knowledge of various types of testing types and techniques.
- Must be a critical thinker with excellent verbal and written skills.
- Feel comfortable working closely with developers, business and other quality analysts.
- Experience in Java scripting/ programming, Automation framework, Selenium and Groovy is a plus/ good to have.
Reporting To: Technical Manager
Location: Hyderabad, India
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their resume along with cover letter, full contact details, current and expected CTC and duration of notice period. Clearly mentioning the job title Software Quality Assurance Engineer - FoodSwitch in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 31-Mar-2022
Our big and bold mission to improve the health of millions of people worldwide needs a diverse and innovative team to deliver it. So, we foster a dynamic, inclusive and flexible workplace where each individual can bring their best selves to work.
Everyone is encouraged to apply, including people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with a disability, people of all gender identities and sexual orientations, and mature-aged adults.
Type of career: Jobs
Application close date: 31/03/2022