The George Institute (‘TGI’) employs 700+ people, focused on improving the health of millions of people worldwide. As a medical research institute affiliated with leading universities and with projects in 50 countries, we are challenging the status quo in healthcare to find the best ways to prevent and treat chronic disease and injury, and to influence policy and practice worldwide. Our innovative commercial enterprises help maximise our impact.
The Institute’s 2025 strategic plan has three key priorities:
1. Better treatments: Finding better treatments for the world’s biggest health problems
2. Better care: Transforming primary health care to deliver better health to more people
3. Healthier societies: Harnessing the power of governments, markets and communities to improve health
Here is just a sample of the things we’re doing to have the greatest impact on global health:
- We are identifying better and safer treatments for our biggest killers like stroke, heart disease and high blood pressure.
- We’re developing an affordable dialysis machine, with potential to save millions of lives each year and transform the way kidney disease is treated globally.
- In China, we ran a successful education and awareness program to reduce the amount of salt eaten by people by 25% each day.
- In rural India, we’ve shown that mobile technology can help diagnose mental health issues, as well as help treat cardiovascular disease, and we’re looking at similar approaches to treating chronic diseases in Indonesia and China.
- We’ve shown that simple text messaging can help prevent heart attack and stroke.
- Together with Aboriginal communities in NSW, Australia, we’ve developed an innovative community led program to assist young Aboriginal drivers attain their license, now implemented in a dozen of locations.
- In many countries, our award winning FoodSwitch smartphone app is helping people make healthy food choices when shopping.