Senior Officer, Advocacy and Policy Engagement, India
We are a medical research institute affiliated with leading universities aiming to challenge the status quo in health care. With 700+ people around the world, and projects in over 40 countries, our Strategy 2025 is all about impact – specifically, the impact of The George Institute’s activities on the health of millions of people, particularly those living in disadvantaged circumstances around the world.
The Global Advocacy, Policy Engagement and Thought Leadership (GAPETL) program aims to support the achievement of the research impact goals set out under the research priorities in three ways.
- By supporting a focus on impact within TGI from the earliest stages of research, by increasing awareness and understanding of the policy environment, and supporting researchers to develop meaningful 'pathways to impact'.
- By facilitating coordinated engagement with policymakers and other key stakeholders, including developing and/or strengthening relationships with potential partners and collaborators.
- By promoting evidence from TGI's research that has clear and specific implications for policy and/or practice, and advocating for change in line with those implications.
This role will support national and regional advocacy and stakeholder engagement activities under the advocacy and policy engagement programme for TGI in India, with a focus on increasing the impact of TGI’s research.
In addition, this role will provide support (approx. 1 day a week) to the Director and other members of the global GAPETL team, including an element of administrative and logistical support and research assistance to inform global advocacy and policy engagement activities.
Directly reports to Head, Advocacy and Policy Engagement, India
Coordinate with internal
- Regional Strategic Priority leads, to align advocacy priorities against strategic research priorities
- Other TGI research colleagues in India, to identify and prioritise the research insights for advocacy to convert into impactful outcomes
- Colleagues in the GAPETL team, to identify opportunities for collaboration across regions, amplification of activities at the global level, and global team activities
- Colleagues in the Communications team in India, to enable co-ordination and collaboration across activities
Coordinate with external
- Stakeholders within government, at both national and state levels
- Stakeholders at regional multilateral offices, including WHO SEARO
- Stakeholders within national and regional partner organisations and advocacy networks, and national/regional representatives of global health organisations
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Maintain an awareness of all research programs in India and support the implementation of an advocacy and policy engagement strategy in India, aligned with strategic research priorities
- Coordinate TGI’s engagement with key stakeholders at the national and regional level to drive impactful outcomes, including representatives of state and national government; regional representatives of multilaterals; relevant NGOs; advocacy networks; and national/regional representatives of global health organisations
- Develop and/or strengthen relationships with potential research and advocacy partners and collaborators
- Identify external funding opportunities for advocacy activities, and support the submission of applications in response to these opportunities
- Support researchers to increase their focus on impact, including through drafting the advocacy/policy engagement components in funding proposals, sharing relevant training opportunities, and providing support in planning, capturing and measuring impact
- Maintain an awareness of developments in the health policy sector in India in order to advise senior staff in the region on advocacy and engagement opportunities and challenges
- Work with colleagues in the GAPETL team to identify opportunities for collaboration across regions and amplification of activities at the global level
- Take the lead in organising GAPETL team meetings, including following the progress of open action items, liaising with all team members to draft the agenda, and making accurate minutes at each meeting
- Provide some research assistance to the Director and other team members as required, including finding, reviewing and presenting information in different formats
Work and Safety
- Comply with GI’s Work Health and Safety Policy and related procedures, and similar policies which apply when visiting the premises of affiliates and collaborating sites.
- Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- At least 5+ years in the field of advocacy/policy, strategy development or programme management in the global/public health or related sectors
- Experience of high-level stakeholder engagement across multiple sectors
- Demonstrated track record of developing and implementing successful initiatives
- Experience of working in an academic research context (desirable)
- Ability to think innovatively and strategically to develop appropriate solutions and identify potential opportunities, and to be creative in forging approaches and linkages with key stakeholders
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills; confidence in influencing colleagues internally and externally
- Ability to understand and interpret complex research and scientific projects and to communicate key messages to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the proven ability to build strong and effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Highly organised, with an ability to work within tight deadlines and manage projects independently, prioritizing and managing workflow
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to The George Institute’s values and model these in all aspects of your work
Location: New Delhi
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their resume with full contact details, current and expected CTC/salary. Clearly mentioning the job title ‘Senior Officer, Advocacy and Policy Engagement, India’ in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 30th December 2021
Our big and bold mission to improve the health of millions of people worldwide needs a diverse and innovative team to deliver it. So we foster a dynamic, inclusive and flexible workplace where each individual can bring their best selves to work.
Everyone is encouraged to apply, including people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with a disability, people of all gender identities and sexual orientations, and mature-aged adults.
Type of career: Jobs
City: New Delhi
Application close date: 30/12/2021