Research Assistant (PEICHAN)
Context & Role:
The Research Assistant is expected to be passionately committed to health equity and systems strengthening, with experience in handing ethnographic, participatory and other forms of in depth qualitative research. The position requires strong team-based skills working across multiple sites, while also requiring motivation and an ability to work autonomously with quick turnaround times on deliverables.
Key Role and Responsibilities:
- Support ongoing fieldwork related to urban health inequalities with an emphasis on the urban homeless, including focus group discussions, participatory health assessments, and in-depth interviews with a range of participants in their language of preference.
- Carry out collaborative analysis of qualitative data using software and have facility interpreting and reporting quantitative analysis
- Support evidence synthesis related to health inequalities, using well established methods
- Support manuscript and report writing on the aforementioned research, with quarterly outputs leading to publication, and appropriate translation of findings for other audiences, including participants in our research
- Closely collaborate with project partners relevant to health equity, including government departments, civil society organisations and other academic institutions in India and globally to advance the work of the health systems and equity program
- Develop proposals related to health inequalities, health equity in partnership with collaborators
- Organise workshops, trainings meetings and events related to the project and to health inequalities work in collaboration with partners
- Further, assist with any additional activities relevant to the project, as delegated by the Program Head.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Appropriate post-graduate qualification in sociology, anthropology, development studies or a related subject in one of the disciplines of public health
- Experience working with highly vulnerable population subgroups and/or health providers and policymakers, especially in urban areas
- Experience working closely with state governments and health functionaries (eg. district medical officers, state programme officers)
- Experience working closely with civil society organisations and movements
- Passion for and demonstrated experience in the field of public health
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams, managing relationships with external partners and engaging senior stakeholders, including those in government
- Experience writing for publication in peer- reviewed journals would be an advantage, as would experience in developing funding applications
- Availability and willingness to undertake extensive local travel within India
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well independently and in multiple teams
- Ability to see the big picture, yet still focus on detail
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing organisational priorities and ambiguous environments.
- Strong focus on quality of work
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their resume with full contact details, clearly mentioning the job title ‘RA (PEICHAN)’ in the subject line to email@example.com by the 13 June 2019.
Type of career: Jobs
City: New Delhi
Application close date: 13/06/2019