High incidence of chronic kidney disease of uncertain etiology (CKDu) has been reported in certain parts of Andhra Pradesh. This new project, in partnership with the Government of Andhra Pradesh, is a multidisciplinary program of research to establish the presence, investigate causes, and test and operationalize innovative preventive approaches for CKDu in Andhra Pradesh. The project aims to establish the disease burden, etiology, natural history, economic consequences of this condition and to develop evidence-guided interventions for general improvement of health conditions in the high CKDu incidence areas of Andhra Pradesh.
The project will involve stakeholders from The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, School of Public Health, Chandigarh University of Hyderabad and The George Institute for Global Health, India.
The Program Manager is expected to take a leading role in the development, implementation and provide oversight of this programme.
The position requires comprehensive knowledge and experience in large-scale primary care implementation of health system interventions. Knowledge and experience in evaluation methodology will be a major advantage. The appointee will be based in Vishakhapatnam but should be willing and able to undertake extensive travel, which will be required for the effective programme implementation and monitoring. The appointment is initially for a period of 36 months, but with the possibility of extension, dependent on future funding for this or related activities.
The Program Manager will have a direct reporting line to the Senior Research Fellow, Renal Research, The George Institute for Global Health, India.
Key Role and Responsibilities
The appointee will be responsible for leading and managing the conduct of the programme in India under the guidance of the Programme Steering Committee. She or he will be actively involved in the development, evaluation, research and implementation of the STOP CKDu package of interventions, with the support of the Steering Committee and local operational staff. This will include:
- Building and maintaining key stakeholder relationships, including relationships with Government of Andhra Pradesh, partners and collaborating staff at the sites as well as investigators at Indian and Steering Committee.
- Drafting and submitting ethics approvals for the study, and any other regulatory approvals
- Contributing to development of, and implementing the research programme, involving the recruitment of staff, patients; data collection at baseline and follow-up
- Developing and adhering to standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the programme implementation, and supporting study sites in implementing SOPs
- Coordination between all the stakeholders and ensuring the efficient implementation as per the defined work plan and timetable of activities.
- Facilitating data management and analysis and contributing to reports, publications and presentations
- Accessing, reviewing and collating relevant peer-reviewed literature as well as non-peer- reviewed reports
- Contributing to the development of funding applications and other proposals
As a Team Member of The George Institute:
- Participate in team meetings and activities related to the projects and the Institute as a whole
- Participate in objective setting and performance management
- Participate in special projects to continuously improve processes, tools, systems and organization
- Participate in planning and implementing of personal and career development activities
- Actively develop job-related skills
- The appointee may have an opportunity to do Doctoral or Masters level studies if she/he is accepted into a programme and is able to secure funds. The institute will actively facilitate that process and encourages it.
Skill, Knowledge and experience:
- Medical or health science degree
- Appropriate post-graduate qualification (Masters or Doctoral qualification) in Public Health, Epidemiology or a related subject in medicine or allied-health fields including Community Medicine.
- Experience in the conduct and management of large-scale healthcare programme implementation
- Experience in epidemiological or clinical studies and/or health systems research studies would be an advantage
- Previous experience in undertaking literature reviews, and writing for publication in peer-reviewed journals would be an advantage, as would experience in developing funding applications
- An understanding of the importance of data quality and accuracy
- Demonstrable experience of working within large teams
- Ability to communicate clearly, fluency with local language (Telugu) would be an added advantage
- Availability and willingness to undertake national and international travel
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Well organized with good time management skills
- Ability to work in cross-cultural settings
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well and be flexible
- Ability to see the big picture, yet still focus on detail
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing organisational priorities and ambiguous environments.
- Strong focus on quality of work
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their applications to email@example.com by the 31 December 2017 with your resume and full contact details and a detailed covering letter addressing the specific roles and responsibilities and experience, as described above.
Type of career: Jobs
Application close date: 31/12/2017