Senior Research Fellow / Specialist
About The George Institute
‘The George’ is 600+ people globally, focused on improving the health of millions of people worldwide. A medical research organisation with projects and activities in approximately 50 countries, we are challenging the status quo to find the best ways to prevent and treat chronic disease and injury, and to improve the delivery of healthcare, especially for those in resource poor settings. The Institute’s 2025 strategic plan has three key priorities:
- Better treatments: Finding better treatments for the world’s biggest health problems
- Better care: Transforming primary health care to deliver better health to more people
- Healthier societies: Harnessing the power of governments, markets and communities to improve health
With offices in Australia, China, India and the United Kingdom, and affiliated with the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Peking University Health Science Center and the University of Oxford, we work with a global network of collaborators, undertaking clinical, population and health systems research, as well as contributing to thought leadership and capacity building activities. Our research is often published in top tier academic journals, with over 6000 publications to-date, and is recognised for its excellence, innovation and impact.
As a respected voice in global health, The George has attracted significant funding from government, non-governmental organisations and industry to grow our global impact. Additionally, we are supported by and engage with our commercial arm, George Health Enterprises, which is headquartered in London with offices across Asia, Europe and the US. The George Institute for Global Health is dedicated to the recruitment, development, and retention of the best people from around the world. The pursuit of academic, scientific and operational excellence in a “can do” culture is actively promoted in all our activities. For more information about the Institute, visit www.georgeinstitute.org
The George Institute India
The George Institute, a wholly owned legal not-for-profit Indian research institute, has been conducting research related activities in India since 2002. The George Institute India’s mission mirrors that of the parent organisation, namely the discovery and implementation of solutions to chronic and disabling health problems through research, policy development and capacity building. A number of large-scale projects in population, health systems and clinical research, funded by a diverse group of sponsors, both public and private, are conducted in India. The George Institute in India comprises two distinct operating groups: Research; and Infrastructure and Resources. It has two separate offices - in Hyderabad and New Delhi, where the research staff and senior management are based.
Context and Role
TGI is committed to developing a program of work and impact in the climate and health and planetary health domains. A global health research centre (GHRC) is being established by George Institute for Global Health India in collaboration with Imperial College London as well as the International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh and the University of Brawijaya in Indonesia. The centre will be focused on rapidly growing burden of Non Communicable Diseases and the existential threat of global environmental change.
The Centre will undertake the development and implementation of this complex, multi-sited, transdisciplinary research programme in addition to extensive research capacity building and community engagement activities. It requires the co-ordination of research teams and groups across different research groups in these 4 countries.
Building on the The George Institute Healthier Society and Better Care strategies the Centre will strengthen our capability to respond to the Planetary Health research agenda and grow our ability to be competitive to leverage follow on funding in this space from a range of peer-reviewed and philanthropic funding agencies who are increasing focusing funding calls in this space.
The George Institute India is seeking to appoint a Senior Research Fellow / Specialist to work closely with the Centre Steering Committee represented by the organisations listed above.
We are looking for a candidate with a well-attested record of excellent research and the vision, leadership, experience and enthusiasm to build on current strengths in maintaining and developing a leading research presence. The appointee will have a proven track record of managing large projects and top tier publications, with an emphasis on the field of environmental change and health.
The George Institute is supportive of flexible working and is happy to discuss the possibility of implementing such arrangements for this post, with suitably qualified people, subject to operational requirements.
This position has been established to support the new global health research centre. The successful candidate will have a specific role in leadership of the Centre’s Research Consortium, supporting external stakeholder engagement with lead and partnering institutions in Bangladesh, Indonesia and India, funders, and an external advisory committee. They will provide oversight for all planetary health related research at the George Institute. Suitably qualified candidates will also be eligible to apply for conjoint academic appointments at UNSW, Sydney, Australia. The position reports to the Executive Director (India) with dotted line reporting to the Program Heads of the India Better Care and Healthier Societies Strategies.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Lead and support a team in the operations of the Centre including research programme development and implementation, research capacity strengthening and community engagement and involvement
- Work collaboratively with all members of the multi-disciplinary team at The George Institute as well as academics in other participating centres as required, including serving on The George Institute's global planetary health working group
- Convene and facilitate the running of virtual and in person steering committee and External Advisory Committee meetings.
- Facilitate capacity development training workshops on planetary health for researchers from partnering LMICs
- Coordinate workstreams with country PIs for each set of research questions, ensuring research administration support, communication and alignment.
- Work with internal and partner communications teams to disseminate awareness of and engagement with the Research Consortium.
- Translate research results into scientific publications in high quality peer-reviewed journals.
- Produce reports on progress for the funder(s)
- Play an active part in the management of financial, staff and research resources
- Develop productive scientific collaborations with new participating research organisations/groups.
- Convene thought leadership activities and workshops on planetary health within and beyond the research site countries
- Identify funding opportunities, initiate and develop, direct and lead on the development and submission of grant proposals related to individual research interests in line with the strategic research themes and priorities of The George Institute
- Support with drafting of proposals and development of curricula for research training
- Develop and expand The George Institute's research focus on planetary health
As a Team Member
- Take responsibility for personal learning and development and for setting achievable and meaningful work objectives and managing personal targets
- Demonstrate commitment to GI’s culture and organisational values, including performing to an exceptionally high ethical standard and focus on integrity and collaboration in all efforts
- Resolve conflict and difficult situations through negotiation and discussion, involving appropriate parties.
- Comply with Work Health and Safety legislation and operate in accordance with established Occupational Health and Safety practice and procedures at the Institute;
- Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors.
Work, Health and Safety
- Comply with GI’s Work Health and Safety Policy and related procedures, and similar policies which apply when visiting the premises of affiliates and collaborating sites.
- Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Postgraduate in public health, environmental sciences, climate science, economics, or a related field.
- Proven experience in a scientific area of strategic importance to Climate and Health
- An experienced leader with track record in collaborating in international multidisciplinary teams (ideally building them)
- Experience and capability to act as a role model in areas of research, teaching and management as appropriate
- Experience in organisational strategy, planning and capacity building
- Experience working globally, with multilateral organisations, international NGOs or foundations, especially in relation to activities in resource constrained settings, including low and middle income countries (Prior experience in managing research programs or fieldwork in the region, particularly Indonesia, Bangladesh and India would be a plus).
- Experience working in complex environments, managing relationships with external partners and engaging senior internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well flexibly, i.e. both independently and with a variety of teams
- An excellent publication record
- Experience in leading the design of research programme
- Excellent writing skills and previous experience of proposal writing and grant awards are desired.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their resume with full contact details, clearly mentioning the job title ‘Senior Research Fellow / Specialist’ in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 24 June 2022
Type of career: Jobs
City: New Delhi/Hyderabad
Application close date: 24/06/2022