Senior Research Fellow, Food Policy
We have an exciting new opportunity for forward thinking and enthusiastic Senior Research Fellow to work within our Food Policy Division, to grow our impact on food policy and nutrition research, and make a leading contribution to research in Australia and globally.
The role will involve leading existing research programs at the Institute, as well as developing new research initiatives that complement the current capacity and research interests of the Institute. The position will be responsible for leading the development, funding, conduct and reporting of research and related activities consistent with the broader strategic goals of the Institute.
The position will work with stakeholders and academics across the Institute in Australia and globally, and with key stakeholders externally. The role may require some domestic and international travel.
This is a 3-year fixed term position, working full-time; however, we would be willing to consider part time (0.8FTE) for the right candidate.
Key responsibilities of the role will include:
- Contribute to overall Institute strategic development and management, through engagement with the Australian Executive Group and other Institute committees
- Play a lead role in the implementation of The George Institute's mission, strategy and objectives through the conduct of food and nutrition research
- Develop, obtain funding for, manage and coordinate large-scale research projects with a focus on collaborative and translation
- Oversee the development of revenue generating activities in support of such projects
- Contribute to the formulation of new commercial initiatives, such as the FoodSwitch program, as and when required
- Lead the preparation of journal publications and contribute to media reports and other public affairs outputs
- Develop and maintain strategic business relationships to promote the Institute and ensure profitable relationships
- Oversee contributions to teaching and training, including the supervision of students and other teaching and examining responsibilities
- Oversee the preparation of budgets, reports and forecasts and ensure they are presented in a timely fashion, and that budgetary targets are achieved
Desired Skills and Experience
Our ideal candidate will possess:
- Research MD or PhD in a relevant health related discipline
- Demonstrated strong track record in the health or academic sectors at a senior management level
- Demonstrated substantial relevant experience in the conduct of large-scale, high impact research projects
- Demonstrated research experience in international settings
- Experience in the publication and dissemination of journal publications, reports and other written materials
- Success in obtaining peer-reviewed grant applications and success in the procurement of other funding from government or commercial sources
- Adaptable and able to work in a dynamic environment and lead change
- Excellent leadership and people management skills including experience in post-graduate supervision and teaching
- Strong analytical skills and strategic thinking with the demonstrated ability to see the big picture, yet still focus on detail
We offer a flexible and inclusive work culture with excellent staff benefits including 17.5% leave loading, salary packaging arrangements and sound learning opportunities.
Type of career: Jobs
Application close date: 20/06/2017