Senior Applications Developer
- Hybrid working arrangements available, with a combination of office and virtual work
- Respected global research organisation
- Make an impact on global health outcomes
The George Institute (TGI) is 700+ people around the world, all focused on improving the health of millions of people worldwide. As a medical research institute affiliated with leading universities and with projects in approximately 50 countries, we are challenging the status quo in healthcare to:
- Find better treatments for the world's biggest health problems
- Transform primary health care to support better health for more people
- Harness the power of communities, governments and markets to improve health
Our innovative commercial enterprises help maximise our impact. Please visit 'what we do' to read more about how we are addressing the world's biggest health problems.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Applications Developer to join our growing team.
The George Institute is developing new processes and resources to manage academic research conducted by staff and affiliates. As part of this, we are developing a new strategy to provide Data Management Services to support academic studies.
The Senior Applications Developer is responsible for planning, implementing, maintaining, and supporting the programming of data management applications to ensure the collection of complete and accurate data for clinical research projects.
Duties and Key Technical Responsibilities
- Assist with the development of web-based applications to enable data collection, reporting and clinical trial data management via the Internet using Oracle, MySQL and MariaDB databases with Centos Linux as the operating system
- Maintain existing programs written in Java/Eclipse using a Spring framework with Hibernate/ JPA
- Maintain systems for data collection with database backends in Oracle, MySQL, MariaDB and MongoDB databases
- Maintain and support APIs for electronic data capture tools eg. RedCap, IBM Clinical Development APIs
- Action all administrator tasks for the applications developed
- Design and develop reports
- Maintain existing system capabilities, document, and test all revisions
- Assist in troubleshooting any issues with application functionality, data, and APIs
- Execute application changes and corrections within agreed timelines
- Provide ongoing support to all application users
- Participate in the design of new application functions
- Participate in the development and validation of new data management systems and processes as necessary
- Liaise with project staff (Research Fellows, Division Heads, Project Managers, CRAs, Data Managers, Statisticians, external parties) to determine application functionality, data collection and reporting requirements
- Liaise with the IT team as required
- Develop and maintain good communications and working relationships with all internal and external stakeholders.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Strong IT skills including SQL, reporting software, all MS Office applications, web-based databases and the Internet, and strong conceptual ability to learn new software applications quickly
- Experience in reverse engineering application systems
- Working experience of Java and Spring Boot, REST APIs, Oracle, MySQL, MariaDB and MongoDB databases
- Proven ability to handle complex data structures and workflows, large data sets, including reporting and other evaluation procedures
- High level problem solving, analytical, and strategic thinking skills
- Ability to evaluate and recommend changes to existing processes and procedures for greater effectiveness
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well and flexibly ie. autonomously, in small teams and with a wide range of varying stakeholders, including senior management
- Ability to see the big picture, whilst still maintaining a focus on detail and implementation newsletter for Ability to be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing organisational priorities and ambiguous environments
- Excellent time management and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong focus on quality of work.
- Tertiary qualifications in science or related field
- Extensive data management experience in clinical and epidemiological research (including, but not limited to, clinical trials)
- A strong understanding of relevant Good Clinical Practice and regulatory guidelines, especially as connected with data quality and accuracy
- Experience with RedCap and IBM Clinical Development EDC.
For more information, please see the Position Description here.
The closing date for applications is midnight, Monday 11th April 2022. We do, however, reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.