Research Operations Team Leader
- Full time (1 FTE)
- Hybrid working arrangements available, with a combination of office and virtual work
- Respected global research organisation
- Make an impact on global health outcomes
- Fantastic culture
The George Institute (TGI) is 700+ people around the world, all focused on improving the health of millions of people worldwide. As a medical research institute affiliated with leading universities and with projects in approximately 50 countries, we are challenging the status quo in healthcare to:
- Find better treatments for the world's biggest health problems
- Transform primary health care to support better health for more people
- Harness the power of communities, governments and markets to improve health
Our innovative commercial enterprises help maximise our impact. Please visit our website to read more about how we are addressing the world's biggest health problems.
We are seeking an experienced Research Operations Team Leader to join our Research and Professional Support Services team. Your primary responsibility will be operational activities such as team management, budget management and reporting.
The Research and Operations Team Leader is primarily responsible for providing general management of all operational aspects of the research work, including planning, funding, oversight of budgets and all financial activities, managing administrative support and project coordination for the Program Heads and Project Managers. Drawing on expertise in research management, this position plays an active role in research funding applications and post award management including research financial management and research commercialisation. The Research and Operations Team Leader will work collaboratively with key stakeholders across the organisation to develop and implement process improvement with systems, procedures and operational strategies across The George Institute, Australia.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Oversee activities and performance of the team, ensuring the highest quality service
- Lead the team development and training
- Oversee quality and timely service delivery by leading administrative and day-to-day operations tasks
- Identify, establish and implement improvement processes throughout
- Support researchers by identify new grant opportunities
- Develop and implement staffing plan as appropriate
- Identify financial risk and work with program leads to manage risks accordingly
- Ensure effective communication to Program Heads in all areas of financial status
- Support Program Heads to ensure financial management responsibilities are undertaken
- Produce and deliver consistent, reliable and timely financial information
- Develop and deliver reports in a timely manner
- Develop long-term financial projections for research activities to achieve and maintain a financially sustainable position
For more details on this role, please see our current Position Description.
The closing date for applications is midnight, Friday 9th September, 2022.
We do, however, reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
Qualifications in clinical, science or health science field with relevant demonstrated experience in a medical research environment Strong understanding of how research grants are applied and implemented in Australia and internationally.
Key Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
Demonstrated experience in project/program management with experience in preparing and managing budgets Ability to interpret financial statements Strong attention to detail, and ability to work with large data sets and using tools such as Excel sheets to manage data efficiently Strong interpersonal skills with excellent written and oral communication skills Ability to be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing organisational priorities and ambiguous environments whilst maintain a strong focus on quality of work Demonstrated strong leadership and mentoring skills and capability of motivating and energising a team to perform at a high level Proven strong reporting capabilities to provide timely and accurate reporting with a strong emphasis on providing solution-based advice. Strong understanding of Finance, including the ability to plan budgets, interpret and generate financial reports, and understanding project budget life cycles.