Context and Role
The person will provide site specific oversight to a project called ARTEMIS which is a cluster randomized controlled trial on use of technology enabled delivery of mental health care by primary healthcare workers for depression, suicide and stress among adolescents in urban slum communities in two cities of India. The project will be conducted across 2 cities – Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh, and New Delhi in Delhi. At each site it will cover about 20 slum communities.
The Research Fellow level will be based in Hyderabad as part of the research team (including other mental health researchers) who are based there, and would be expected to travel quite frequently to Vijayawada to oversee the project there.
The role would involve managing staff, collaborating with other researchers, developing networks with government and non-government stakeholders, communities and adolescent populations, seeking ethics and regulatory approvals and achieving time-bound project goals. The person will also need to contribute to the research, be involved in data analysis in collaboration with biostatistics team, contribute actively to writing peer-reviewed papers and presenting at conferences.
Besides this project, the person will also help develop other mental health projects in collaboration with colleagues and wil contribute to the science and conduct of such studies. The individuals will also need to develop his/her own reach career in mental health and seek funding opportunities.
This role reports to: Deputy Director and Director of Research.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
The research fellow would be expected to:
- Coordinate the overall delivery of the program in Vijayawada and ensure that the project delivers on time.
- Plan and manage the above project as per study protocol in consultation with investigators
- Be specifically involved in project management for the site specific activities
- Be responsible for securing all regulatory and ethical approvals from different bodies in consultation with other team members
- Develop networks with all stakeholders for not only conducting the research but also build relationships for future collaborations, with a specific focus on adolescents and relevant stakeholders
- Manage research staff reporting to the person directly or indirectly
- Manage budgets as per institutional regulations
- Contribute to the science of the study by writing papers and presenting at meetings and conferences
- Develop individual research interests by identifying new opportunities to conduct research and generate revenue for the institute
- Travel extensively both in the local area around Delhi NCR but also as per need to the site in Andhra Pradesh
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Qualifications: Masters plus three years experience or a fresh MD /PhD graduate. Doctoral qualification in psychiatry/psychology or a mental health related field. MD in psychiatry or PhD in psychology or allied mental health fields would be preferred
- Experience in managing projects, leading teams, specific work tasks would be desirable;
- Minimum of two publications is essential
- Demonstrated capability to produce outcomes and achieve objectives within agreed time periods;
- Strong problem solving, analytical skills, and proven strategic thinking;
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, with ability to influence others to achieve common goals;
- Strong leadership and mentoring skills and capability of motivating and energising a team to perform at a high level;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with high level of proficiency in English and the ability to work well autonomously;
- Excellent team-work/leadership skills, with demonstrated ability to collaborate in small teams and with a wide range of varying stakeholders;
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and to be adaptable to changing organisational priorities and ambiguous environments;
- Strong focus on producing the highest quality of work and on ensuring optimum accuracy of outputs;
- Well organised and efficient, with the capacity to work under pressure
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their resume with full contact details, clearly mentioning the job title Research Fellow in the subject line to email@example.com by the 30 April 2020.
Our big and bold mission to improve the health of millions of people worldwide needs a diverse and innovative team to deliver it. So we foster a dynamic, inclusive and flexible workplace where each individual can bring their best selves to work.
Everyone is encouraged to apply, including people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with a disability, people of all gender identities and sexual orientations, and mature-aged adults.
Type of career: Jobs
Application close date: 30/04/2020