Context and Role
The person will provide oversight to an ICMR funded project entitled MentAl Health Risk Factors among Older AdolesceNts living in Urban SluMs: An InTervention to Improve ResIlience (ANUMATI). The aim of the project is to explore associated risk and protective factors for Common Mental Disorders (CMDs) like depression, anxiety, suicide risk and substance abuse among older adolescents (15-19 years) living in urban slums. The project will employ a cross-sectional mixed methods design and will be conducted in two urban slums of North (Faridabad) and South (Telangana/ Andhra Pradesh) India with a population of about 10,000 each. The role would involve managing staff, collaborating with other researchers, developing networks, seeking approvals and achieving time-bound project goals. The person will also need to contribute to the research, be involved in data analysis in collaboration with biostatistics team and qualitative researcher, contribute in the development of an intervention module and be involved in actively writing peer-reviewed papers and presenting at conferences.
The position requires strong team-based skills working across both sites, while also requiring motivation and an ability to work autonomously with quick turnaround times on deliverables. The appointee will be based in Hyderabad and should be willing and able to undertake extensive local travel in the selected slum areas. The appointment is for a period of 36 months which is contingent on the annual performance appraisal of the candidate. Besides this project, the person will also help develop other mental health projects in collaboration with colleagues and wil contribute to the science and conduct of such studies. The individual will also need to develop his/her own reseach career in mental health and seek funding opportunities.
The Research Assistant equivalent to Scientist D (nonmedical) of ICMR will have a direct reporting line to Dr Mercian Daniel, Program Manager, who is the PI of the project.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Plan and manage the above project as per study protocol in consultation with project team, and provide overall project coordination for the South Indian site.
- Coordinating field staff to conduct census of the selected slum to enumerate total number of eligible adolescents who can be included in the study.
- Be specifically involved in project management for the South Indian site in collaboration with coinvestgators who are based at the Hyderabad office.
- Support in putting together protocol, ethics documents including Participant Information Sheet and consent form in consultation with the PI; conducting screening, risk and resilience assessment of adolescents, including piloting and testing of tools; and the development and feasibility testing of the intervention module..
- Carrying out FGDs, IDIs, and KIIs with a range of key stakeholders in their language of preference along with qualitative researchers.
- Train and orient field investigators on the study design, steps, processes, and screening and assessment tools.
- The conduct and report quantitative and qualitative analyses while closely working with other concerned team members in addition to drafting a final study report and disseminating its findings.
- Closely monitoring the day-to-day implementation of the study and ensuring that deliverables are completed on time.
- Liase with community stakeholders, local, district and state level govt. officials in the conduct and implementation of the study.
- Be responsible for securing all regulatory and ethical approvals from different bodies in consultation with other team members.
- Develop networks with all stakeholders for not only conducting the research but also build relationships for future collaborations.
- Manage research staff reporting to the person directly or indirectly.
- Manage budgets as per institutional regulations.
- Contribute to the science of the study by writing papers and presenting at meetings and conferences.
- Develop his/her research interests by identifying new opportunities to conduct research and generate revenue for the institute.
- Travel extensively in the selected local slum around Hyderabad and as per need to the site in Faridabad/ Delhi office.
- Further, assist with any additional activities relevant to the project, as delegated by the PI of the project.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Qualifications: Masters Degree in science, social science, management, social work, public health, BDS, BHMS, B.V.Sc. & AH and desirable Ph.D. degree in science, social science, management, social work, public health and allied subjects.
- Experience of 3-5 years managing projects, leading teams, specific work tasks.
- Demonstrated capability to produce outcomes and achieve objectives within agreed time periods.
- Strong problem solving, analytical skills, and proven strategic thinking.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, with ability to influence others to achieve common goals.
- Strong leadership and mentoring skills and capability of motivating and energising a team to perform at a high level.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with high level of proficiency in English and the ability to work well autonomously.
- Excellent team-work/leadership skills, with demonstrated ability to collaborate in small teams and with a wide range of varying stakeholders.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and to be adaptable to changing organisational priorities and ambiguous environments.
- Strong focus on producing the highest quality of work and on ensuring optimum accuracy of outputs.
- Well organised and efficient, with the capacity to work under pressure.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their resume with full contact details, clearly mentioning the job title < Research Assistant> to email@example.com by the 15 January 2020
Our big and bold mission to improve the health of millions of people worldwide needs a diverse and innovative team to deliver it. So we foster a dynamic, incusive and flexible workplace where each individual can bring their best selves to work.
Everyone is encouraged to apply, including people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with a disability, people of all gender identities and sexual orientations, and mature-aged adults.
Type of career: Jobs
Application close date: 15/01/2020