The Program Head will be responsible for development and management of the program of research, hire research fellows or other staff necessary to execute the work, write grant applications, contribute to development of Institute research strategy, and mentor budding researchers. The Program Head will be expected to bring existing partnerships and develop new collaborations for new research proposals, find suitable funding opportunities and engage with funders, develop relationship with external stakeholders for enhancing the quality and impact of research and advocating for evidence-informed policy changes.
The Program Head will be expected to engage with GI academics in other offices (Office of the Chief Scientist, Australia, China and UK), and may be be eligible for Academic appointments in University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia and/or University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
The Program Head will report directly to the Executive Director. The role may initially have no direct supervisory responsibilities but will work closely with other stakeholders within the organization. Over time, as staff recruited in the program will report to the successful candidate. Depending on the seniority of the successful candidate, funding will be available to assist with establishing a research team.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
• Develop a program of research in India and contribute to similar or overlapping programs in India and across regions
• Assess national and international funding opportunities for research and enhance Institute-wide knowledge of, and engagement with, these funders.
• Lead multiple domestic and international grant funding applications, and contribute to others
• Lead and contribute to the development of peer-reviewed publications.
• Identify and undertake professional development opportunities to increase personal capacity in the chosen field
• Attract high quality postgraduate (Masters and PhD) students; and support students in securing competitive scholarship funding.
• Attract post-doctoral fellows and other research staff
• Contribute to execution of the Institute research strategy, training and capacity building, and advocacy programs
• Work with other program teams to develop cross-disciplinary programs
• Engage with external individual and organisations with research expertise to develop partnerships for technical advice and capacity development.
As a Team Member:
• Participate in special projects to improve processes, tools, systems and organisation;
• Take responsibility for personal learning and development and for setting achievable and meaningful work objectives and managing personal targets, meeting obligations of The Institute’s Performance Management and Development Policy;
• Demonstrate commitment to The Institute’s organisational values, including performing to an exceptionally high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts.
As a Team Manager:
• Ensure direct reports understand and comply with GI’s Policies and procedures, standard operating practices, ethical practice (with respect to research) and the legislative environment.
• Be responsible for managing performance of direct reports, including the completion of plans and agreeing on work and personal objectives and reviewing such plans and objectives, in accordance with GI’s Performance Management and Development Policy.
• Act as a role model and ensure the team’s commitment to GI’s values, ensuring direct reports perform to a high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts.
Work, Health and Safety
• Comply with Work Health and Safety legislation and operate in accordance with established Occupational Health and Safety practice and procedures at the Institute;
• Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
• MD/PhD/ Medical degree in relevant health related discipline or equivalent experience. Successful candidates will be expected to have a minimum of 3-5 years post-doctoral research (or similar) experience
• Experience and an excellent internationally recognized track record of conducting research, attracting grants and mentoring research fellows.
• Experience in the publication and dissemination of journal publications, reports and other written materials
• Proven track record of successful competitive funding applications
• Familiarity with both quantitative and qualitative research methods relevant to areas of expertise
• Experience working in multidisciplinary research teams and managing relationships with external partners
• Well-developed written and oral communication skills, including a demonstrated publications track record and prior public speaking engagements
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well flexibly, i.e. independently and engaging with research teams
• Competency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Competency in the use of statistical and qualitative software packages desirable; ability to liaise with biostatisticians, health economists, and qualitative researchers
• Excellent planning and organisational skills
• Strong desire to expand personal knowledge and capacity.
• Understanding of confidentiality and privacy laws and guidelines relevant to medical and public health research.
How to apply:
Your application should include: CV with full contact details of three referees.
Interested candidates should send their applications to email@example.com, clearly mentioning the job title in the subject line. The closing date to receive applications is by the 15 August 2017
Type of career: Jobs
City: New Delhi
Application close date: 08/09/2017