Leader, Women’s & Child health Program
The role is required to develop and lead research at a national and international level, as team leader of the Women’s & Child health Program. This program is conducting research on prevention, management and treatment of women and child health illness using innovative technologies. This position will involve collaborations with people and organisations external to TGI at national and international levels.
The Leader, Women’s & Child health Program will report to the Associate Director directly.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Provide oversight and contribute to all research activities of the Program.
- Develop/maintain national and international links to support the Program’s activities.
- Actively develop and promote the desired culture of The George Institute by ensuring all interactions, documentation and communication are conducted in a manner which supports the Global Strategy 2025.
- Foster strategic research collaborations with other researchers on programs both within and external to The George Institute.
- Directly write, and guide others in development of reports on analyses that are suitable for publication in high impact journals.
- Lead grant writing and revenue raising for the development of new projects.
- Ensure that research being conducted is congruent with world best practice.
- Remain abreast of developments that are relevant to the Program and the Institute, providing a source of information to colleagues globally.
- Provide leadership, advice and support in projects, and exercise autonomy in relation to techniques, methods and procedures to achieve desired outcomes.
- Provide coaching/mentoring to program operational staff across The George Institute China and actively seek to provide developmental opportunities for these staff.
- Lead and support the implementation of strategies and tools to support the management of programs across The George Institute China.
Represent GI China and promote its reputation
- Contribute to the development of research proposals and funding applications.
- Makes decisions that impact on the entire organization.
- Maintain effective relationships with research funding organisations from both the public and private sector.
Customer Focus and Teamwork
- Attend and actively participate in The George Institute meetings and other internal meetings as required.
- Promote team building and the empowerment of staff and provide a stimulating environment which encourages team and individual growth.
- Create an environment of high customer responsiveness, openness, and innovation that promotes effective change.
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Master degree in public health, medicine, economics, or related discipline is preferred, PHD would be a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting high-quality research independently or in a team are particularly preferred, including a publication track record.
- Demonstrated experience in generating external research funding.
- Experience in leading successful grant applications at both the national and international level preferred.
- Substantial experience of the conduct of epidemiological and/or clinical research.
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively in a global team.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills in both English and Chinese.
- Demonstrated experience in management and supervision of post-graduate students.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well and flexibly i.e. autonomously, in small teams and with a wide range of varying stakeholders.
The George Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women; people who identify as LGBTIQ; mature-aged adults and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.