Data Analyst, Food Policy
- Full time (1 FTE)
- 2 year fixed term contract
- Contribute to high impact research
- Flexible role within a supportive environment
The George’ is 700+ people focused on improving the health of millions of people worldwide. As a medical research institute affiliated with leading universities and with projects in approximately 50 countries, we are challenging the status quo in healthcare to find the best ways to prevent and treat chronic disease and injury, and to influence policy and practice worldwide. Our innovative commercial enterprises help maximise our impact.
The Institute has a strong track record in research addressing food and nutrition issues. The team does both quantitative and qualitative research and holds large databases describing the changing composition of foods in Australia and other countries around the world. The group also works closely with policy makers and commercial organizations to develop and evaluate programs that will led to real changes to the food environment. Throughout, the goal is to generate high-quality evidence regarding the prevention of diet-related ill health and to see this translated into policies and practices. The team is supported by a large technical team and a statistics groups within the Institute. The group also works closely with Communications and with Government Relations at the Institute to maximize the impact of their findings.
A core part of this work is the FoodSwitch Program that comprises a large branded food composition database and associated applications. The aim of the FoodSwitch Program is to continually capture product data for a nation and use those data to inform consumers, government and the food industry about the nutritional quality of foods with the goal of improving the healthiness of the food supply and improving individual’s food choices.
An exciting opportunity exists for a Data Analyst to work with teams and collaborators from around the globe to address key uncertainties in national and international efforts to improve the quality of the food environment. The Data Analyst will be responsible for the analysis and reporting of data from our food composition databases.
To achieve this, the successful candidate will:
- Conduct research addressing food composition, nutrient profiling and food labelling
- Work closely with the FoodSwitch team to enhance the quality of the food composition data and develop novel methods to enhance and streamline data processing and dissemination methods
- Facilitate access of research partners to high quality data
- Assist in the coordination of research projects and work collaboratively across the institute and other research organisations
- Assist with the formulation and design of new research and development projects
- Facilitate the preparation of reports, journal publications and media outputs
- Assist with the preparation of budgets, reports and forecasts
Success will be based on a range of skills and experience:
- Postgraduate qualification in data science or biostatistics, or equivalent working experience
- Strong quantitative research skills
- Excellent working knowledge of SAS or STATA software
- Experience in an academic or commercial research environment
- Demonstrated experience in the publication and dissemination of written and electronic reports
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well flexibly, i.e. independently and engaging with research teams
- Ability and willingness to travel
We offer a flexible and inclusive work culture with excellent staff benefits including, salary packaging arrangements and sound learning opportunities.
Type of career: Jobs
City: Newtown, Sydney
Application close date: 27/06/2019