The Communications Officer is responsible for the George Institute, China’s internal and external communications and public relations activities including stakeholder engagement, media management, website, events, and promotional materials. In addition, the incumbent will work with the philanthropy team in the head office located in Sydney for fundraising activities in China .
The Communication Officer will report to Managing Director directly.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Under the leadership of the Institute Director, be responsible for strategic and operational planning of stakeholder engagement
- Implement the plan by maintaining regular contacts with key stakeholders
- Provide assistance to Institute staff in writing speeches, preparing letters and drafting articles for distribution to key stakeholders
- Advise senior management on the public relations implications of Institute policies, practices and actions; review proposed changes for their probable effect on public opinion, and recommend action to improve public relations
- Maintain and update the stakeholder database regularly
- Ensure the China section of the website meets the aims of the organization within the context of the global website
- By working with internal R&D members and the Sydney Communication team explore and develop suitable messages for the China section of the website
- Manage and update China website content regularly
- Work with the Sydney team on intranet materials
Media and Disseminations
- Prepare, propose and implement local, national, and international media opportunities for the George Institute, China
- Be the central contact person for media-related Institute activities within China
- Work with various media to manage George Institute, China media reports including TV, radio, newspaper, magazines, and internet.
- Maintain and update the media database regularly.
- Create a range of corporate communications tools (for a variety of mediums) to promote the George Institute, China work to a range of audiences – materials including newsletters, fact sheets, invitations, research brochures
- Ensure all promotional materials are consistent with the George Institute Brand.
Other public relations type of responsibilities
- Support and work closely with project managers on work related to public relations and communications
- Organise and supervise seminars, exhibitions and special sponsorship projects to increase public recognition directly, or through an agency relationship
- Working with head office (located in Sydney) to provide support on fundraising initiatives in China
- Working with the Sydney Communications team, provide relevant examples on request of China projects for dissemination in corporate marketing materials.
- Other PR and communications related work for the George Institute, China.
Skills, knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor degree or above
- At least 3 years of working experience, preferably in public relations, communications, and program management
- Proven capabilities in issues management and strategic direction
- High level strategic, problem solving, project management, communications and organisational skill
- Experience in event management
- Experience in a health, medical or academic environment would be advantageous
- Strong problem solving, analytical skills, and strategic thinking
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well and flexibly ie. autonomously, in small teams and with a wide range of varying stakeholders
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing organisational priorities and ambiguous environments.
Type of career: Jobs
Application close date: 31/10/2021