Assistant Manager - Impact
About The George Institute
We are a medical research institute affiliated with leading universities aiming to challenge the status quo in health care. With 700+ people around the world, and projects in over 40 countries, our Strategy 2025 is all about impact – specifically, the impact of The George Institute’s activities on the health of millions of people, particularly those living in disadvantaged circumstances around the world.
Our strategy focuses on three key research priorities:
Better Treatments: finding better treatments for the world’s biggest health problems
Better Care: transforming primary health care to support better health for more people
Healthier Societies: harnessing the power of communities, governments and markets to improve health
Our innovative commercial enterprises help maximise our impact.
Here is a sample of the things we are doing to achieve our goal of having the greatest possible impact on global health:
We are identifying better and safer treatments for our biggest killers like stroke, heart disease and high blood pressure;
In many countries, our award winning FoodSwitch smartphone app is helping people make healthy food choices when shopping;
In China, we ran a successful education and awareness program to reduce the amount of salt eaten by people by 25% each day
In rural India, we have shown that mobile technology can help diagnose mental health, as well as help treat cardiovascular disease, and we’re looking at similar approaches to treating chronic diseases in Indonesia and China;
Together with Aboriginal communities in NSW, Australia, we developed an innovative community led program to assist young Aboriginal drivers attain their license, now implemented in a dozen of locations;
We are developing an affordable dialysis machine, with potential to save millions of lives each year and transform the way kidney disease is treated globally.
The George Institute India
The George Institute, a wholly owned legal not-for-profit Indian research institute, has been conducting research related activities in India since 2002. The George Institute India’s mission mirrors that of the parent organisation, namely the discovery and implementation of solutions to chronic and disabling health problems through research, policy development and capacity building.
A number of large-scale projects in population, health systems and clinical research, funded by a diverse group of sponsors, both public and private, are conducted in India. The George Institute India comprises two distinct operating groups: Research and Development, and Infrastructure and Resources. It has two separate offices - in Hyderabad and New Delhi, where the research staff and senior management are based.
Context and Role
The Impact & Engagement program at The George Institute aims to support the achievement of the research impact goals set out under the strategic research priorities by:
- Supporting a focus on impact within The George Institute from the earliest stages of research, by increasing awareness and understanding of the policy environment, and supporting researchers to develop meaningful 'pathways to impact';
- Facilitating coordinated engagement with policymakers and other key stakeholders, including developing and/or strengthening relationships with potential partners and collaborators; and
- Promoting evidence from The George Institute's research that has clear and specific implications for policy and/or practice, and advocating for change in line with those implications.
The George Institute seeks to employ a global Assistant Manager - Impact who will work across a number of impact-focused initiatives in order to: increase the focus on research impact within The George Institute, and share developments in the research impact sector with internal stakeholders; support researchers to develop meaningful ‘pathways to impact’ in their work; and develop the institute’s ability to capture, measure and report on its impact in a meaningful way.
The position holder will work as a member of the global Impact & Engagement team, which spans the UK, India and Australia and links with colleagues in China. They will also work with The George Institute researchers globally, and with teams including research services, project operations, communications, commissioned research and development/philanthropy.
Directly reports to: Global Director, Impact & Engagement Head, Impact & Engagement, India;
(Dual reporting lines; the role is expected to report primarily to the Global Director initially while the position is being established, and the Head of Impact & Engagement in India thereafter.)
Duties and Key Responsibilities
The Assistant Manager - Impact would be expected to work across a number of key initiatives:
Research Impact Toolkit
- Oversee the maintenance and development of the Research Impact Toolkit, The George Institute’s internal resource that provides guidance for researchers on how to plan, achieve and measure impact
- Ensure toolkit content is relevant, engaging, accessible and of a high quality
- Add new tools, frameworks and other resources to keep the toolkit up to date
- Curate content to signpost users to resources and provide guidance on relevance
- Provide regular updates on toolkit developments to The George Institute staff through internal newsletters, at team meetings and via other channels
- Provide introductions to the toolkit to new staff as part of induction process
- Provide regular training sessions on specific aspects of the toolkit as appropriate and/or to support specific grant applications
- Ensure coherence between the toolkit and The George Institute’s institutional impact measurement framework
Research Impact Measurement
- Lead all aspects of research impact measurement, including collection and analysis of research impact data and reporting across The George Institute
- Act as organisation's focal point with Altmetric, Overton and Clarivate, providing first line of support and facilitating troubleshooting, information sharing and training sessions as and when necessary
- Upload organisation's data to Altmetric and Overton on a monthly basis
- Monitor the three platforms for high-performing research and interesting trends in order to identify potential impact case studies
- Use the three platforms to produce regular impact reports for internal and external stakeholders, ensuring accurate data is shared in engaging formats
- Support the collection of data through the impact module in SPoT, acting as first line of support for researchers and working with the CORE Quality Assurance team to monitor data quality, oversee retrospective data entry and lead SPoT impact reporting
- Support researchers to use the data collected through the impact measurement framework to develop impact statements and pathways to impact when submitting grant applications
- Monitor developments and trends in the research impact sector and share information with key stakeholders at The George Institute to ensure the institute is at the forefront of work in this area
- Work with the communications, development and other teams to create impact outputs that support their objectives, the needs of external stakeholders and The George Institute’s strategic goals
The Assistant Manager - Impact will collaborate with a number of teams internally, including:
- The George Institute's Centre for Operational and Research Excellence (CORE), to implement the Impact database in The George Institute’s Single Point of Truth platform (SPoT), to capture research impact activities and outcomes
- The George Institute’s Data Management team, to implement an institutional impact measurement framework combining data from SPoT and external platforms
- The George Institute’s Quality Assurance team, to implement training, quality checks and reporting on the Impact database in SPoT
- The George Institute’s communications, development and commissioned research teams, among others, to ensure impact reporting aligns with what target audiences are looking for
- The George Institute researchers globally, to ensure uptake and continuous development of the Research Impact Toolkit
- Colleagues in the Impact & Engagement team, to stay abreast of impact activities and outcomes at The George Institute, and of tools and frameworks relevant to the Research Impact Toolkit
The Assistant Manager - Impact will also collaborate with a number of external stakeholders, including:
- Key stakeholders at Altmetric, with whom The George Institute has an institutional subscription to monitor online activity surrounding its research
- Key stakeholders at Overton, with whom The George Institute has an institutional subscription to track where its research is influencing policy documents
- Key stakeholders at Clarivate, with whom The George Institute intends to take out an institutional subscription to obtain access to journals’ impact factors, citation reports and reports on emerging science trends
- Key stakeholders at the external consultants developing the Impact database in The George Institute's Single Point of Truth platform (SPoT)
- External stakeholders working in the research impact sector, including knowledge exchange and research translation experts, and developers of platforms to capture and measure research impact
As a Team Member:
- Participate in team meetings and activities relating to Impact & Engagement and own work area;
- Participate in special projects to improve processes, tools, systems and organisation;
- Take responsibility for personal learning and development and for setting achievable and meaningful work objectives and managing personal targets, meeting obligations of the Institute’s Performance Management and Development Policy;
- Demonstrate commitment to GI’s values, including performing to an exceptionally high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts.
Work, Health and Safety
- Comply with George Institute’s Work Health and Safety Policy and related procedures, and similar policies which apply when visiting the premises of affiliates and collaborating sites.
- Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Ability to think innovatively and strategically to develop appropriate solutions and identify potential opportunities, and to be creative in forging approaches and outputs
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong attention to detail
- Confidence in influencing colleagues internally and externally
- Ability to understand and interpret complex data and to communicate findings to different audiences in an engaging and accessible manner
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to build and maintain strong, effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and manage projects independently, prioritising and managing workflow and ensuring high-quality outputs
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to The George Institute’s values and model these in all aspects of your work
Experience - essential
- Experience of working in an academic research environment
- Experience of working with large/complex data sets
- Experience of using data to create compelling outputs (reports, presentations, graphs etc.) for a range of audiences, including senior management and The George Institute’s board
- Experience of engaging with the research impact sector in different contexts
- Experience of building and sustaining strong relationships to achieve impactful outcomes
Experience - desirable
- Familiarity with research funder requirements in terms of planning and reporting impact activities and outcomes
- Familiarity with research impact tools and frameworks
- Familiarity with online platforms such as Altmetric, Overton and Clarivate
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their resume with full contact details, current and expected CTC/salary.Clearly mentioning the job title <Assistant Manager - Impact> in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 25 August 2022
Our big and bold mission to improve the health of millions of people worldwide needs a diverse and innovative team to deliver it. So we foster a dynamic, inclusive and flexible workplace where each individual can bring their best selves to work.
Everyone is encouraged to apply, including people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with a disability, people of all gender identities and sexual orientations, and mature-aged adults.
Type of career: Jobs
City: Flexible; position holder will be encouraged to work from India’s New Delhi or Hyderabad offices at least one day a week
Application close date: 25/08/2022